Master of Social Sciences in Sport and Leisure Management
The Master of Social Sciences in Sport and Leisure Management provides opportunities for students to take a reflective and interdisciplinary approach to the planning, provision, and management of sport and leisure. The programme also emphasizes a life-span approach to understanding the relationship among sport, leisure, and well-being and offers students with opportunities for active learning in various settings. The following objectives are set:
- To advance students’ understanding of the planning and provision of sport and leisure from a life-span perspective, including the provision of inclusive programmes;
- To advance students’ skills and knowledge in the management of sport and leisure;
- To enable students to become reflective and critical practitioners to assess and respond to changing needs of the society; and
- To enhance students’ competence in reading and conducting independent project.
Most courses are taught by a combination of lecture-discussions and seminars held on weekday evenings and/or Saturday mornings.
The structure of the curriculum is as follows:
|I)||Required Courses||6 units|
|II)||Elective Courses||21 units|
For graduation, students must complete 27 units from coursework within the duration of the programme and obtain:
- Grade C- or above in all courses, and
- A cumulative GPA of 2.50 or above.
Students can select two-year part-time or one-year full-time study mode. With special permission a student may extend his or her study but in no cases would the period of study be allowed to exceed one more calendar year of the selected study mode.
|I.||Required Courses||6 units|
|SLM 7020 Management Skills and Communications||3 units|
|SLM 7100 Research Methods||3 units|
|II.||Elective Courses||21 units|
|SLM 7010 Foundations in Sport and Leisure Management*||3 units|
|SLM 7030 Management of Human Resources||3 units|
|SLM 7040 Planning and Developing Sport and Leisure Facilities||3 units|
|SLM 7050 Marketing of Sport and Leisure Services||3 units|
|SLM 7060 Financial Management||3 units|
|SLM 7070 Seminar on Contemporary Issues in Sport and Leisure||3 units|
|SLM 7080 Health Promotion||3 units|
|SLM 7090 Development and Management of Sport and Leisure Services for Different Target Groups||3 units|
|SLM 7140 Event Management||3 units|
|SLM 7150 Independent Project||3 units|
* Required course for non-local students and students of non-PE/sport and recreation managemet major undergraduates.