Postgraduate Diploma in Education (One-Year Full-Time)
Programme Director: Dr LEUNG, Allen Y L
The one-year full-time Postgraduate Diploma in Education is the conventional mode of teacher education for graduates before they join the teaching profession. The programme emphasizes the four roles of a teacher: social and autonomous individual, facilitator of learning, educational innovator and professional educator. These four roles serve as the building blocks of the programme. To enable students to play these roles effectively in the teaching profession, the programme is designed to develop their knowledge, abilities, personal qualities and philosophies. The aims of the programme are:
- To develop in students personal qualities which support their work and professional development. These personal qualities include interpersonal effectiveness, creativity, self-understanding, and the motivation and readiness for self-reflection and self-improvement;
- To develop in student a functional knowledge of disciplines which informs educational practice. A functional knowledge of disciplines means basic knowledge of psychology, sociology and philosophy essential for the understanding of the aims and processes of education;
- To develop in student expertise as subject specialist teachers in local schools. This expertise consists of effective strategies for the planning, conducting and evaluating of teaching of given school subjects;
- To develop in student knowledge essential for effective functioning within the profession and the wider school context. This knowledge encompasses issues in the professionalization of teaching, educational management, organization and policy.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the programme, graduates are able to:
- Develop functional knowledge of psychology, sociology and philosophy that are essential for the understanding of the aims and processes of education.
- Develop pedagogical content knowledge for effective teaching of given school subjects.
- Develop essential knowledge for effective functioning within the profession.
- Acquire effective strategies for planning, conducting and evaluating of teaching of given school subjects.
- Enhance generic skills to support their daily work and professional development.
- Demonstrate a reflective and sensitive mind in educational practice and social issues to uphold professional integrity and advancement of the profession.
Unless otherwise approved by the University, students admitted are normally not permitted to register part-time or full-time for any other qualification either at the University itself or at any other local institutions of higher learning. Students breaching this regulation are subject to discontinuation of their studies at the University.
The programme adopts a student-centred approach, using a variety of teaching and learning strategies to support classroom learning and teaching practice. These strategies emphasize reflection, creativity and continuous development of the student. Teaching is conducted through lectures, lecture-discussions and seminars. Furthermore, real-life experience of life at school as a teacher is provided during the Field Practice periods and on-site supervision and peer observation are included in the different elements of the integrated practicum, i.e. subject instruction, microteaching, school experience and supervised teaching practice.
The structure of the curriculum is as follows:
|I)||Required Courses||18 units|
|II)||Elective Courses||2 units|
|III)||Integrated Practicum||12 units|
Normally students should complete the programme within one calendar year. With special permission a student may extend the programme of study for a further period of not more than 12 months.
To be eligible for the award of the Postgraduate Diploma in Education, a student must (1) complete a total of 32 units as required by the Department, (2) obtain grade C- or above in all courses, (3) obtain grade S in School Experience and Supervised Teaching Practice Assessment, and (4) achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher. To be awarded distinction for the programme, students should attain a cumulative GPA of 3.67 or above, with no course grade below B- and no repeated courses. Students attaining a cumulative GPA between 3.40 and 3.66 will be awarded merit.
|I.||Required Courses||18 units|
|EDUC7020 Psychological Foundations of Teaching and Learning||2 units|
|EDUC7030 Teacher Self Development||2 units|
|EDUC7040 Social Foundations of Education||2 units|
|EDUC7050 Philosophical Foundations of Education||2 units|
|EDUC7210 Foundations of Information Technology in Education||2 units|
|EDUC7250 Inclusive Education||2 units|
|EDUC7360 Curriculum and Assessment||3 units|
|EDUC7370 Classroom Management and Communication||3 units|
|II.||Elective Courses*||2 units|
|Each student must select one course from the elective courses listed below. Students are advised to base their decisions on their interest or the relevance of the courses to their work.|
|Area A: Social and Autonomous Individual|
|EDUC7070 Student Self Development||2 units|
|EDUC7110 Psychology of Adolescence||2 units|
|EDUC7150 Creative and Critical Thinking||2 units|
|EDUC7230 Advanced Communication Skills||2 units|
|Area B: Facilitator of Learning|
|EDUC7170 School Guidance||2 units|
|EDUC7901 Teaching of a Second Subject (Chinese)||2 units|
|EDUC7902 Teaching of a Second Subject (Information and Communication Technology)||2 units|
|EDUC7903 Teaching of a Second Subject (History)||2 units|
|EDUC7904 Teaching of a Second Subject (Mathematics)||2 units|
|EDUC7905 Teaching of a Second Subject (Economics)||2 units|
|EDUC7906 Teaching of a Second Subject (Putonghua)||2 units|
|EDUC7907 Teaching of a Second Subject (Science Education)||2 units|
|EDUC7908 Teaching of a Second Subject (Liberal Studies)||2 units|
|EDUC7909 Teaching of a Second Subject (Geography)||2 units|
|EDUM7540 Introduction to STEM Education||2 units|
|Area C: Educational Innovator|
|EDUC7130 School Management and Decision Making||2 units|
|EDUC7180 Action Learning in the Classroom||2 units|
|Area D: Professional Educator|
|EDUC7100 Education System and Policy in Hong Kong||2 units|
|EDUC7140 Teaching as a Profession||2 units|
|EDUC7290 Moral and Civic Education||2 units|
|III.||Integrated Practicum||12 units|
|EDUC7310 School Experience||0 unit|
|EDUC7320 Supervised Teaching Practice||4 units|
|EDUC7381 Subject Instruction I||4 units|
|EDUC7382 Subject Instruction II||4 units|
* The provision of electives, including options of EDUC7901-9 Teaching of a Second Subject, will depend on students’ needs and resources of the Department.