MUSI2068 Songwriting I (2 units)
- Medium of Instruction:
This course is designed to strengthen the creative understanding of the craft of songwriting. Through the study of popular music history, applied theory, cultural studies, performance studies, music technology, and aesthetics.
(1) Develop a songwriting practice that integrates individual and collaborative work with a focus on creativity and experimentation. Students will form class bands to rehearse and perform songs.
(2) Songwriting history and current trends through analysis, performance, and discussion of diverse genres. The course will also examine the compositional processes of acclaimed songwriters.
(3) Develop useful techniques for writing melodies, harmonies, rhythms, lyrics, and song structures.
(4) Broaden students’ perspectives through analysis and discussion of a wide variety of song genres.
(5) Incorporate music technology (production software and hardware) into the songwriting process.
No result found.